Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Gullane East, Kerry, Ireland

When Colonel Thomas Colby was was placed in charge of the newly commissioned Ordnance Survey Office in 1824, the goals was to map the entire country using a scale of 6" to the mile. Additionally they were tasked with examining and standardizing place names and recording the information in a series of volumes known as Name Books. these books contain information details about ownership of the land, archaeological objects, monuments and more. 

The following is a copy of the listing for Gullane East:

Ask About Ireland - Name Book
This is a very interesting

 In 1837 Samuel Lewis described the parish of Kilconly in his Topographical Dictionary.

KILCONLY, a parish, in the barony of IRAGHTICONNOR, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 10 ½ miles (W. by S.) from Tarbert, on the southern shore of the estuary or mouth of the Shannon; containing 1660 inhabitants. Near the shore are the ruins of the ancient castles of Beale and Lick, the former of which (designated "Beau-lieu" in the Pacata Hibernia) was once a residence of the Earls of Kerry. In 1600 its fortifications were demolished by Patrick, the then earl: in the same year, however, the brave Maurice Stack, one of Queen Elizabeth's officers in the desultory war then carried on, was invited here by the earl's lady and treacherously murdered by her attendants. A dangerous bar, or quicksand, extends about a mile north from Beale Point, and nearly opposite Carrigaholt bay. The parish comprises 2942 statute acres, of which 188 are coarse pasture, 114 bog, and the remainder arable land, for manuring which sea-weed and sand are generally used. The mountain of Knockanure, 665 feet above the level of the sea, is partly in this parish; from its summit an extensive view of the Shannon is obtained, the shores of which are in this vicinity extremely pleasing.
Litter House is the residence of G. Wren, Esq. The parish is in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe; it is a rectory and vicarage, forming part of the corps of the treasurership of Ardfert. The tithes amount to £83. 1. 5 ¾., and there are two glebes, containing together about four acres. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Lisseltin. About 100 children are educated in a public school, and there are two private schools, in which are about 130 children. Near the ruins of Lick castle is a columnar cliff, called by the peasantry the "Devil's Castle," inaccessible except to sea fowl: its summit is sometimes frequented by eagles. In the vicinity are several caves, formed by the dashing of the waves against the cliffs.

Ordnance Survey 6" Map circa 1840-1860
Townland of Gullane East

Kilconly Parish Records in Cath's Dropbox (Griffith's, Cancelled Valuation Books, Tenure Book, Census Records, etc.)
Gullane East Townland
A List of Untenanted Lands 1906 - Gullane East 
Ballybunnion Parish Registers - Library of Ireland
Church Records County Kerry  (use as an index to Parish registers, also burial registers)

No comments:

Post a Comment