|Coat of Arms of William Delemere|
|Inscription on Coat of Arms|
|13th Century Chapel|
John O'Hart gives the following history of the Delmore family in Ireland.
Arms: Ar. a fess gu. fretty of the first in chef a label of three points of the first.
HERBERT DE LAMARE, or, as he was called in Irish, Erebeirt an Muireach (mjkreacn: Irish, "a sailor or mariner") was considered to be of French extraction.
He came into Ireland upon the first invasion thereof by the English, and, after a time, was made governor of the lower borders of Meath, now called "Westmeath," then the limits of the English conquests in that country; where he and his posterity obtained great estates and possessions. This Herbert de Lamare was the ancestor of Delamere, anglicised Delmore; after him the Irish called his descendants MacErebeirt ("erebeirt" : Irish, a load or carriage ; from the Gaelic "eraidh," apparel, and "beirt" a burden) anglicised MacHerbert and Herbert.
William de Lamare, son of Herbert, lived in the reign of Henry the Third, King of England; and founded the Abbey or Friary of Multifarnham, upon part of his possessions.
John de Lamare (or Delamare), son, it is supposed of the aforesaid William, buit the strong castle of Street, in the territory of Maghbreacry, in the country of Annaly (now the county "Longford") which he made his chief seat, A.D. 1294; and so continued to the chiefs of his posterity, until their estates were confiscated by Cromwell and his adherents, during the "Commonwealth." In the same year (of 1294) this John Delamare joined with John Fitzgerald, baron of O'Phaley (now "Offaley"), who was afterwards first earl of Kildare, in a great quarrel between him and Richard Bourke, the Red Earl of Ulster; and by his assistance, defeated and took the said earl, and committed him prisoner in the Castle of Ley, for a long time. After the year 1298, the said John Delamare was slain in an engagement with his Irish enemies of Annaly. (Irish Pedigrees - Pt 5 pp. 173-174)
|Graveyard at Multifarnham|
The following inscription is found over the baptismal font at Multifarmham "Fritheadh an fhoinse sec i geomharsanacht Knightswood, dit a raibh ar na Froinsfassigh ar feadh trdimhae tar eis doibh bheith dfbrithe as Muilte Faranndia.....This fountain-head was found in the vicinity of Knightswood where the Franciscans dwelt for a time after their expulsion from Multyfarnham - Inserfbhinn : MF Tobbir Slainteh A (D) 1638.
Our connection to Herbert and William is unknown, but unlike many Irish surnames, the name is uncommon and it is likely that all Delmores lead back to this original family. Other clues pop up as research continues including close ties to the areas where William's descendants were resettled.
Mary Delmore 1846 Ireland - 1936 Minnesota m. John Baier(l)
Luke Delmore 1816 Ireland - 1880 Minnesota m Margaret Somers emigration
Luke Delmore (Dilmar/Delmour) abt 1790 - aft 1852 Ireland
Luke Delmore (probably) in Roscommon Census 1749
- Roscommon, Ireland
- Juneau, Wisconsin
- Olmsted, Minnesota
* Pictures by Dolores English Young