Monday, June 11, 2018

Notes on the Children of Edmund English and Anna Baier

Edmund and Anna had eleven children all born in St. Paul, Minnesota.
Bill, John, Mary Monica, Frank
  1.  John Edward - see a later post
  2.  William Arthur (Bill) [1892-1935]  Bill had an accounting degree from St. Thomas University.  During WWI he served in Co B 31st Engineers as a private secretary to Colonel Mears, serving in Alaska, Russia and France.  Bill married Jane L McNally  in 1924. They moved to Washington state and had two daughters.
  3.  Thomas Francis (Frank) [1893-1979] Frank in parnership with JB Simpson was vice-president and Manager of the main Arctic Fur Store on 3rd and Stewart in Seattle, WA.  Frank married Theckla Peterson in 1918 in Seattle and they had three daughters.  Theckla died in 1943 and he married Edith Sandstrom in 1944. Niece, Dolores English Young notes, "He had a small cabin on Puget Sound in the 1930's and later built his permanent home there in Edmonds WA.  Frank loved his home and the surroundings, the flowers, shrubs, trees and gardens.  He was a fun, outgoing person and loved to entertain.  His hobbies were fishing and gardening, but he is remembered mainly for his salesmanship."
  4.  Mary Monica [1895-1933] Mary Monica married Phillip Francis Carroll at St. Patrick's Church in St. Paul on 6 Jun 1917.  Mary Monica died in 1933 of pernicius anemia, leaving three children between the ages of 12 and 16.
  5.  Mark Fedelis [1899-1950]  Mark married Beatrice Hill and they had three children. Mark had his own produce trucking business.  He would run up into Wisconsin with fruits and vegetables and he returned with eggs.  He lived in the old English home on Litchfield Street in St. Paul. In 1934 the depression left Mark with a failing business, he declared bankrupcy and lost the home which had been quit deeded by his mother and siblings to him.  Not wanting to see the home lost to the family, his sibling chipped in and got the home back.  [See 101 Litchfield  105 Litchfield 
  6.  Cecelia Ann (Ceil) [1901-1992] Ceil worked as a secretary for Great Northern Railroad until about 1934.  She followed  Bill and Frank to Washington state and married Joseph H Barrett there in Sept of that year. Ceil and Joe had one son. She was a real estate broker.
  7.  Leo Joseph (t) [1903-1971] A happy go lucky fellow who was loved by all, Leo lost both legs in a street car accident when he was a child.  "We regret to hear that Leo English of St. Paul, had both feet cut off by a street car.  The distressing accident occurred near his home.  Mrs English was formerly Miss Anna Baier of this place.  She has the sympathy of many friends."Daily Post and Record (Rochester MN) 31 May 1912  Leo followed his siblings to Washington where he was a furrier with the Arctic Fur Company.  In 1931 he married Alma Hicks and they had three children.
  8.  Loretta Josephine (t) (Laura) [1903-1993]  Laura and Leo were twins. After the death of her sister Mary Monica, Laura married Phillip Carroll in 1936 in Seattle, WA.  They added seven more children to the family, a total of ten.  They lived in Saint Paul.
    Laura with Niece Dode English at Lake Owasso
  9.  Paul Patrick [1905-1955] Paul also moved to Seattle where he was a fur cutter with the Arctic Fur company.  He married Katherine Stoltz in 1935 and they had one daughter.  Paul served as a Pvt in WWII.  He is buried in Calvary Cemetery in Tacoma WA.
  10.  Baby [1907-1907]
  11.  Edmund Anthony [1909-1969]  Edmund was in Seattle in 1930 living with his mother who had moved there when so many of her family did.  He also worked as a fur cutter for the artic fur company.  He married Marion Bell and they had three sons.

Monday, May 28, 2018

Edmund English - Part II




Granddaughter, Dolores English Young (Dode), remembers her father talking about his father.  

Edmund was a very tall, slender, good-looking, rather quiet gentleman, but he loved a good time.  He met often with his old buddies and played a good game of cards.  His oldest son, John, remembers going down to the corner saloon for a bucket of beer for the card players--and the bartender would dunk in a hot poker before John would run home with it.  

About 1895 Edmund purchased a home at 99 Litchfield Ave. It was originally built by Wm Hellmann in 1887 and some remodelling was done by Edmund in 1895. All records with an address for Edmund show the 99 Litchfield address except the 1920 census which uses the number 105.  In fact it seems that Edmund owned two different houses right next to each other and even the city has mixed up the addresses in their records using 99, 101, 105 and 107.  In obtaining the historic building permits from the Minnesota Historical Society it became evident that the records of the two houses were mixed up.  For records and more for each house see 101 Litchfield  105 Litchfield The houses stayed in the family for many years.  The original home was the first home of John and Mae Geraghty English.

Edmund was also a good carpenter and did a lot of handy work in their home.  He was a very gentle and kind in handling his children.  

Edmund and Anna had eleven known children. One of the eleven died unnamed in 1907, the rest survived to adulthood.  Check the next post for Notes on the Children of Edmund.





Edmund must have worked for the Great Northern Railway from its formation in 1889. Various railways combined at that point.  His wedding announcement stated he worked for a St. Paul Railroad.

Edmund died on 23 December 1920 at the age of 63 from heart failure following a colocystectomy operation.  Burial was from St. Patrick's Church and interment in Calvary Cemetery. [see note]




Edmund was a member of the Great Northern Railroad Veterans[1], The ancient order of Hibernians[2], the Brotherhood of American Yeomen[3] and the Telegraphers Union[4].  With five minor children at the time of his death, the insurance that was part of at least the APH and BAY must have served as a welcome help to Anna.




 
In Memory of Edmund English


One by one a link is severed

   In the golden chain of love;

One by one some dear one leaves us
  To dwell with the saints bove
One by one our ranks are thinning
  "Round our firesides warm and bright
But the numbers there are swelling,
  In God's mansions fair and bright.

One by one a tie is broken--
  Long united, and so dear;
But it draws our hearts to heaven,
  And it seems so very near.
One by one we, too, shall enter
  That dear home of all the bless'd
And 'twill be so much the sweeter
  To be our dear loved one's guest.

Dora Erickson, a friend





  • NOTE.......Edmunds children, Frank and Ceil were both of the impression that their father was 67 when he died, but Ceil found part of a letter from Ireland which gave his baptismal record and recorded his birth date as January 28 1857.  The same letter mentioned that his sister Bridget had died, and that Minnie and Kate were in St. Louis MO.  Maggie was home from America, single and 27 and planning to return to America.  The only brother Martin died at birth as did a sister Nora.  The beginning and end of the letter had been torn off so Ceil did not know who wrote it or when.  What is apparent from further research is that Maggie, Martin and Nora were not siblings of Edward, but rather his neices and nephew, children of his brother John.  Bridget died 19 Nov 1903, which dates the letter after that date.  Martin was born and died in 1877.  Nora was born in 1889 and died at the age of three in 1892.  Maggie was living with her parents in 1911.  It is unknown whether she returned to america.  By process of elimination it seems the letter must have been written by either Johanna who died in 1911 or Julia who married Patrick Rynne in 1915. Edmond's brother John and his wife Margaret Flahavin outlived at least four of their children. John died in 1918 and Margaret in 1932.





  1. Great Northern Railway Historical Society, History of the Great Northern Railway
  2.  "The Ancient Order of Hibernians is a Catholic, Irish American Fraternal Organization founded in New York City 4 May, 1836. The Order can trace its roots back to a parent organization of the same name, which has existed in Ireland for over 300 years. However, while the organizations share a common thread, the North American A.O.H. is a separate and much larger organization."  Click link for more and 
  3. The Brotherhood of American Yeomen, a fraternal insurance society is an Iowa production,
    and was organized by J.E. and C.B. Paul, at Bancroft, Iowa, February 25, 1897, under the name of "Farmers' Mutual."  The society was popular from the start, the founder evidently having formed a plan of mutual insurance that seemed reasonable and just and which provided for a surplus fund for reserve.  The name, however, did not altogether suit and before the articles of incorporation were filed it was changed to Brotherhood of American Yeomen.  The word yeomen as used in old times meaning land holders.  Soon after incorporating the headquarters were removed to Cedar Rapids and later to Des Moines, where they are now permanently located.  The order has had a rapid growth and its jurisdiction extends from ocean to ocean north of a line drawn east and west through the mouth of the Ohio river, with a few exceptions.  The society has an entertaining ritualistic ceremony of adoption, the work being taken principally from Scott's "Ivanhoe."  The members are called archers and the lodges homesteads.  In 1914 the Brotherhood was located at 517 NY Life Bldg in Saint Paul.
  4. It would seem likely this was the Order of Railroad Telegraphers.  There is a collection at the MN historical society that is on my research list.

Monday, May 14, 2018

Edmund English - part I

In December 1920 The Progress, North End Newspaper, St. Paul, Minnesota reported

"The funeral of Edmund English,99 Litchfield Street, who died at St. Joseph's Hospital at 2:20 a.m. Thursday, December 23, 1920, following an operation on the Tuesday previous, occurred from the family residence on Monday morning with solemn serviced at St. Patrick's Church.  The funeral was largely attended, and the floral tributes were many and very beautiful.  The remains were laid to rest in Calvary Cemetery.

Edmund English was born in Gullane, Co. Kerry, Ireland, sixty years ago and came to America when a lad of eighteen, coming to Rochester, Minn.  About 36 years ago he came to St. Paul and entered the employ of the Great Northern Railroad, and has been with this institution since.  Hes work was that of switchtender, and he was active in this to within a few days of his death.  On October 10, 1889, at Rochester, Mr. English was united in holy matrimony with Miss Anna Baier of that city.  Together they then made their home in St. Paul and have resided in this district for about 25 years.  Ten children were given them all of whom survive and together with their mother mourn the loss from their circle of a most loving and devoted soul.  The children are: John, William (at Anchorage, Alaska), Frank (of Seattle, Wash.), Mary (Mrs P.F. Carroll, Mark, Cecelia, Loretta, Leo, Paul and Edmund.  With the exception of William, the entire family was at his bedside at the hospital when he peacefully fell asleep in the Lord.

"Although not in the best of health for some time, Mr. English was always at his post with the exception of two months this fall, which he and Mrs. English spent together on the West Coast.  He was a man who possessed many sterling traits of character and had staunch friends wherever he was known.  He was considered much of a home man, but this never deterred from him performing his duties and more, toward his neighbors and fellowman.  He was a member of the GN Ry Veterans, the ancient Order of Hibernians, the B.of A. Yeoman, and the Telegraphers Union.

"In the sudden and unexpected death of Mr. English the North End lost one of it's finest and most beloved citizens and his pleasant smile will be greatly missed among a large circle of neighbors who join The Progress in extending to the bereaved ones deep sympathy and profound condolance in this their time of affliction, sorrow and temperal solitude."


___________________________________________________________________________

Like so many obituaries this one contains a few vital mistakes.


Edmund English was christened at Doon Church on 26 Jan 1857.  Throughout the years his age and day of birth changed according to the record.  Every record with a month gives October with the date being either the 12 or the 16. While the obit above and other records would put his birth in 1861, the reality is he couldn't have been christened four years before he was born.  Therefore, it seems likely his birth was in October 1856.

Edmund's father died when he was about four and his mother Mary Lawler married John Carmody in April of 1864.  Little is known of his childhood in Gullane. He had three older brothers and two known sisters.


SS Abyssinia
According to family stories, Edmund left home when one of his parents remarried, traveling with his sister Kate. The date of his mother's marriage gives the lie to the story. He was only seven at the time.  There is also no evidence that he sailed with Kate who according to a later letter settled in Saint Louis.

In fact a ship passenger list dated 11 Jun 1879 in New York harbor, states the S S Abyssinia had sailed from Liverpool with Edward English, age 18 a laborer from Ireland on board.  Directly above him on the list is James Carmody age 22. Is this the James Carmody born in Gullane in 1854?  This may not be the right record but we know that Edmund was in Stockton, Winona County in 1880. He is living with his cousin Edward, the son of Jeremiah English.  His age is given as 20.

Edmond filed a Declaration to become a citizen in Rochester that same year.


In 1885 Edmund is living with this cousin Mary, a daughter of Jeremiah, in Viola, Olmsted County.

By 1889 Edmund had moved to St. Paul where he worked as a switchman for the Great Northern Railway.

On 10 Oct 1889 he returned to Rochester to marry Anna Marie Baier

"One of the social events of the season was the marriage of Mr. Edward English of St. Paul, formerly of this county and Miss Ann Buyers of Haverhill, at St. John's church, on the 11th inst., Rev. Father Riordon officiating.  the groom is in the employ of one of the railroad companies of St. Paul, and the bride is well known in this county.  the best wishes of a host of friends accompany the newly wedded pair to their future home in St. Paul." Rochester Record and Union 18 Oct 1889 p3c4

Edmund  is listed in the city directories for 1890 and 1891 at 123 Viola St in Saint Paul.


 




Monday, April 30, 2018

The Children of John Baier(l) and Mary Delmore

John and Mary had 13 children according to their own testimony.  Four of those have not been found in records at this point.  An educated clan, many taught school before their marriages.

Anna Marie (Nan) was born in 1867 in Wisconsin.  She married Edmund English.

The remaining known children were all born in Haverhill Township, Minnesota.  Frances Margaret (Fan) was born in  1872. She married Phillip Cassidy and they had ten children all in Olmsted County.


Catherine Agnes (Kate) was born in 1875.
"Called Home - Miss Katherine Byers Joined the Great Majority  This Morning.
Wednesday's Daily - The dark Angel Death cast his grim shadow over the home of John Byers this morning.  She who answered the dread summons was Mill Katherine Byers.  Miss Byers has been ill for a long time and a number of times her life has been dispaired [sic] of.  She had rallied so bravely several times that the anguished family began to take hope of her ultimate recovery.  Her disease was rheumatism and in spite of all that medical skill could do, it finally reached her heart.  The end came at an early hour this morning.  While death is always sad, this one is peculiarly so.  Miss Byers was twenty-two years of age, a bright, beautiful young woman, admired and beloved by all who knew her.  She had lived all her life in this county and her sweet disposition and charming womanly graces made everyone who came in contact with her, her friend.  Her untimely loss will be sincerely mourned by a host of friends.  The funeral will be held from St. John's church Friday morning, the Rev. Father Riordan officiating."  (Olmstead County Democrat, Friday Feb 23, 1900 p1 col 3.)

Elizabeth Cecelia (Liz), born 1878, married Maximillian Conrad om 1897.  They had seven known children.  One, Max Arthur Conrad was better known as the "Flying Grandpa".


John Matthew was born in 1880. He married Agnes Czapleske. John took over the Baier family farm. John and Agnes had four children, one of whom died in infancy.

Their only surviving son died in a hunting accident.  "Man Killed in Hunting Accident - John Baier Dies in Accidental Discharge of Gun - Shot through the chest when a shotgun on which he was manipulating the ejector accidentally discharged, Joseph John Baier, 23 years old, assistant to the farm superintendent at the State Hospital, was killed instantly this afternoon.  It was the area's first hunting fatality of the season." Rochester Post 28 Oct 1940
Eva Baier Lawler and John Matthew Baier
Lawler Farm Collection


John Matthew died in 1973 in Iowa.

Josephine Gertrude (Govie) was born in1881. She married George Timothy Joyce, MD in 1906. They had three children.














Sarah Veronica (Sadie) was born in 1883.  She married Michael P Macken in 1914 and died in 1922 of Bright's Disease and diabetes.  She is buried in the family plot in Calvary Cemetery

Evelyn Teresa (Eva) was born in 1886.  She married William Patrick Lawler in 1913. William is a grandson of Jeremiah Lawler and Margaret English.

Mark Anthony was born in 1893 and married Helen St. John. Close in age to John Edward English his nephew, they played together on the farm when John would visit during the summer.  They were the best of friends.  John was devestated when Mark died as the result of a gunshot wound in November of 1940.  He had been despondent  since the death of another nephew John Joseph Baier in a hunting accident.  The coroner's inquest ruled the death accidental.


Monday, April 16, 2018

John Baier - Part II

Baier House circa 1911 (Lawler Farm Collectin)
" .... After the war Grandpa logged a bit, but wanted to farm.  He walked up thru Minn. near Rochester to Blue Earth County.  The land was great but after the following two tales he came back and settled in Olmstead county -- There was a bad storm and he had to stay with a settler who was just putting up his sad shanty & as yet no roof.  The lady of the house sat up all nite with an umbrella over her baby while grandpa  and the husband stayed close to a wall but still got soaking wet.  well that was OK because the house was not yet completed.  The next day, while still travelling, he met a man with a broken sickle who had to walk 40 miles to get it fixed.  Well that was too much for Grandpa, He returned - walking of course, to Rochester & settled east of town - first an 80 acre farm a few miles east of the 240 acre farm near to state hospital which he purchased from a Mr. Willson.  But all was not roses the first few years - there were chinch [sic] bugs which took all - & then I think grasshoppers.  Grandpa went to Mr. Willson & told him he would have to take the farm back because he could not pay -- Mr. Wilson refused because he said Grandpa was a good farmer -- first class -- so that is another good reason for staying in Olmstead ...." (Mary Baier Letter)





Circa 1893 John, Liz, Fan, Nan, Kate
..., John, Eva, Mary, Sadie
Lawler Farm Collection

John, in his pension papers, remembers that they moved to Olmstead Co, MN the year of the Chicago Fire, which is corroborated by his wife, Mary Delmore Baier's recollections.  "We lived there until I think 1871. I had one child when we came to Rochester Minnesota, since then born to us have had 12 children of which seven of my children are living, all of whom are married and out in the world for themselves."


John and Mary were reported to have had thirteen children in the Olmstead County History which was written while both were still alive. Some relatives recall hearing of twins who died at birth and are buried on the farm in Haverhill.  Of the other two nothing is known/



Over the years John added another 160 acres to his holdings, all of which he farmed for many years and later deeded to his son, John Matthew.  "....John was an exceptionally good farmer.  He worked hard and methodically and accomplished much.  His first farming was done with oxen ( a quick stepping ox could plow 1 1/2 acres a day.  Sunday he considered the Lord's day and would allow no work no matter what the situation or weather.  In later years he made it a daily practice to call the Grain Exchange in St. Paul for the latest information.  John always claimed he would quit farming when he had saved $50,000.  After years of successful farming the time came to retire and move to Rochester. He had put in years of hard labor and had achieved his goal.  His wife Mary had other ideas.  She was determined not to leave the farm.  She had always had a will of her own, but John and his daughters found a nice home at 611 East Center Street.  They did the arranging and the moving.  Mary finally agreed to move--under protest. She moved a lot of her farm home treasures and finally fixed the home to her liking.  They resided there from 1908 until their deaths.

"John started life as a poor boy but was industrious and frugal and so won success.  He was active in his community and served in many local positions of trust.  He and his family were members of the Roman Catholic Church.  John English, his oldest grandson remembered well the summers he spent on his Grandfathers farm.  He recalls how he worked in the fields and garden, how he was instructed to keep a detailed report of his hours and activities, and how he was paid at the end of the summer after having a heart to heart talk with the old gentleman.  His grandmother's cooking was another highlight for him. She made cookies as no other woman could and the tale of her wonderful dishes has passed down through the generations." (Granddaughter Dolores English Young Genealogical Notes)


John died on 1 Jun 1924 without having written a will. His estate therefore was divided 1/3 to Mary and 2/21 to each of his seven living children. The estate which was initially valued at $29,200 was settled at 40090.77.  After expenses there was 36595.16 left to distribute.  The farm however was not sold so the actual distribution of $10693.39 to Mary and 3569.04 to each child, was nearly halved with Mary receiving $5609.16 and each child $1064.01.  The lot on which the Baier/s lived in the Rochester was considered a homestead and was appraised for $5000.

John was buried on 3 Jun 1924 in St. John's Cemetery in a ceremony presided over by Rev. Seton G P
Murphy. When family visited in 1999 the cemetery had been renamed Calvary and the parish priest at St. John's Church die not remember it being called St. John's.  The name probably was changed when Rochester grew large enough to have more than one Catholic Church and the graveyard no longer was used exclusively by St. John's.


 John Baier - Dropbox

Monday, April 2, 2018

John Baier(l) Part I

Original at Olmsted County
Historical Society
Joseph Leonard's 1910 A History of Olmsted County states 

...."John Baier, a veteran of the Civil war, and for many years engaged in farming in Haverhilll township, is one of three living children in a family of four born to the marriage of John Baier and Kunagunta (Gretch) Baier.  The father was a small farmer in Germany, where he married.  He came with his parents to the United States about the year 1846, and after a short stop in Buffalo, New York, located in Wisconsin, and there farmed for a number of years.  The later part of his life the father resided in Milwaukee, where he died about the year 1892.  John Baier, his son and the subject of this sketch, was born in Bavaria, Germany, April 2, 1844....." (1)

In 1860 John was living on the Wisconsin farm with his widowed father Johann. His brother Joseph and two sisters no longer lived at home, however, Margaret was just a few farms away, a servant in the home of a neighbor. At the age of fifteen John was probably sharing much of the work with his father.  According to the census he had not attended school within the last year.  (2)

John married Mary Delmore on 9 Nov 1863 in Mauston, Wisconsin. Father Montague the local parish priest performed the ceremony.  To date a marriage record has not been found, however, the information is given in John's pension papers.

John enlisted in the Union army in the fall of 1864 at the age of nineteen.  He stood "5'7" with brown hair and blue eyes" as he mustered into the Co E of the 1 Regiment Wisconsin Heavy Artillery as a private under Captain Shipman on Sept 8.   

Batteries E and F of the First Heavy Artillery were first organized at Camp Randall, Madison, WI, and left the State on the 3rd day of October, 1863, proceeding to Fort O'Rourke in Washington where they were assigned to duty in the defenses of that city.  They remained in the Washington DC area until they returned to Milwaukee, WI, and were discharged on the 1st of July, 1865.

While in the army John earned $11 a month and lived on salt pork and hardtack. Like so many regiments this one lost only 4 enlisted men and two officers to wounds, but a total of 77 succumbed to disease.  (3)


After returning to Wisconsin John  logged and rafted on the Yellow River for about six years.  The Yellow River flows into the Wisconsin River near New Lisbon and the Lemonweir River flows into the Wisconsin River at Lyndon Station, both are located near Mauston.  The loggers worked long hours for wages of $14 to $18 a month.  The men lived in the woods (ate and slept there) and the evenings were full of song and stories until early bed down.  It was a hard and rugged life. (4)

From a letter of Mary Baier, granddaughter of John to Ms. Bhinks of the Olmstead Historical Society, "........ I would like to make a few corrections in the accompanying article about Grandpa Baier and his gun.  First the gun in a musket - not a rifle.  At least as my father explained, because you had to make your bullet with shot, a wad of paper, powder and caps, that was pouch was for either powder or shot. When my father was allowed to hunt with it his rabbit prey would be gone by the time he loaded the musket because of all the rigmarole of making a bullet. Hence, the gun has been bored to handle a regular bullet.  I know this fact detracts from the gun, but people had to be practicale [sic] even in those days.  The gun can be used as a musket or regular bullet, as I was told by Dad - John Matthew Baier [March 27, 1874 - May 4, 1973]. (Note: while John's gun was given to the Museum, it appears it is no longer in the collections.)

Second, Grandpa came to Olmstead County after the Civil War.  I think it is a rather interesting story as to why he chose Olmstead County- But I must backtrack a bit.  Grandpa was in 1st Wisconsin - in those days you could hire someone to take your place if you were drafted. Grandpa was paid $600 to go in a draftee's place.  That was a lot of money  - since he was just married....  This would be a good start in life.  His wife Mary Delmore stayed with his sister in Milwaukee. Anna Baier Kleinhans, while he went off to war.  The story is Grandpa warned his sister to see that Mary did not go "out in the bush" which apparently is just outside of the then Milwaukee city limits...." 



  1. Leonard, Joseph A, The History of Olmstead County: together with Sketches of Many of its Pioneers, Citizens, Families and Institutions (Chicago, Goodspeed Historical Association 1910), page 619.
  2. Bureau of the Census RG 29 Micropublication M653 1438 rolls, Eighth Census of the United States 1860, Population Schedules (Washington, National Archives and Record Administration).Roll 1414 - Wisconsin, Juneau County, Mauston Post Office, Marion Township pg 117 Dwelling 741 Family 835 31 july 
  3. US Civil War Pensions, Invalid Application 1364056 certificate 1137642 MN filed 5/10/1907, Widow Application 1220666 certificate 952028 MN filed 6/19/1924: Oliver, Philip (developer), The Civil War CD-ROM, The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies (Guild press of Indiana, Inc 1997). Part III Regimental Histories Wisconsin; Estabrook, Charles E. ed, Records and Sketches of Military Organizations, Madison 1914;  May 31, 1924, p 2 c 2;  Rochester G.A.R. Personnel Skrinks to 23; Once Had 311, Rochester Daily Bulletin May 31, 1924, p 2 c 2
  4. Bureau of the Census RG29 Micropublication M593 1,748rolls, Ninth Census of the United States 1870, population schedules (Washington, National Archives and Records Administration).  Roll 1720 Vol 12 (1474A) WI, Juneau, Germantown 26 July 1870 Page 13(23) John Baier 24 works in sawmill PP 100 Bavaria, parents foreign; Mary 23 F W Keeping house Ireland; Annie 3 FW WI parents foreign

Monday, March 19, 2018

Lawsuits

We can thank our litigious ancestors for the glimpses their often petty lawsuits gave into their lives.

So a complaint by Johanna Lawler, widow, against John English (farmer) on 9 Apr 1872, informs us that on the 26 and 28 of March he let five pigs trespass on her new fences.  They uprooted the quicks planted in said fences.

On 5 Sep 1870 John English (farmer)  filed a complaint against Margaret English (married) stating that on the 20th of August in Gullane she assaulted him by stricking him several blows on the face with her fist.  Thomas and Honorie English also both of Gullane spoke in her defense and the charges were dismissed on the merits and without costs.

John then accused Thomas English Sr. (farmer) of Gullane of assaulting his wife Margaret on the same day by taking from her by force and violence a tin can and cut her in the leg.  John asked that Thomas be bound to peace towards himself and his family.  Thomas English spoke for John.  These charges were also dismissed without merit.

The drama had just begun, John next accused Thomas English Jr. (laborer) of causing him a personal injury. He accused Honoria and May English of aiding and assisting Margaret English of assaulting his wife (Margaret English) and asked that they be bound to peace toward him and his family.  All the charges were dismissed on merit and without cost.

Thomas English then accused Margaret English (married) of wilful trespass for entering his land and taking water from his well, he went on to accuse John of trespass and using force and violence to assist his wife in taking water from his well.  These charges were also dismissed on merit and without cost.


Relations between these brothers and their families did not necessarily improve.  On 15 Apr 1872 Margaret (married) most likely the wife of Thomas complained that John had called her scandalous names without any cause.  Stating that she is afraid that he will do so again, she asks that he be bound for future good behavior towards her. John in turn complained that she had assaulted and beaten him and also accused her son Thomas Jr. of calling him a perjurer and of  encouraging his mother to assault and beat him.  He asked for Thomas Jr. to be bound in peace towards him.  All three complaints show there was no appearance in court.

On 8 Oct 1877 Thomas English accused John of allowing his pigs to trespass on his land cropped with potatoes. You can find these as well as many other "family" petty court sessions by clicking on the link below.

Adding to the confusion of the records is the fact that both brothers had married Margarets.  John married Margaret Carroll and Thomas married Margaret Costello.  And both Thomas and John had sons Thomas and John.  Thomas remained in East Gullane where he passed away in 1884, but at this point it is unknown whether John remained.  His name remains in the Valuation books, but no death has been found for him.  There is a census record in 1880 in Minneapolis that could be him.  Perhaps the digitization of the remaining death records for Gullane will give further clues.

Gullane Petty Sessions Court Records (English, Lawler, Carmody connections)